Student projects

We are constantly looking for motivated students to conduct master, diploma, and bachelor projects. If you are interested in working in our group please contact Prof. Dmitrij Frishman by email. Please attach a brief CV outlining your previous experience, courses attended, as well as programming skills.

We are currently offering projects in the following areas:

  • Master thesis: Oxford Nanopore Data Pipeline for Discovery of Novel Bacterial Species
    Come and do a Bioinformatics Masters Project with our team working inside A.G. Wolf at the LMU Genzentrum. You will be part of a project that will spin out as a startup at the end of the year. You will have the opportunity to help us with a key step in our pipeline, while seeing the inner workings of an early startup. So what is it we do? If 80% of current clinical antibiotics, an array of anti-cancer, anti-parasitic, anti-obesity and immuno-regulatory drugs, and CRISPR-Cas9 were all found in less than 1% of the worlds bacteria. What do you think we can find in the remaining 99%? We have developed a technology that gets us into this unexplored and untapped bioresource: the 99% of until-now uncultured bacteria. Our initial target market is antibiotics but we are aiming in the long term for a broader range of application covering both pharma and the chemical industries. Your task will be to help us develop a processing and analysis pipeline for Oxford Nanopore data from our newly cultured bacteria. You will take the raw data and form consensus sequences from it. An automated identification tool can then be set up using GenBank databases.
    Come and fulfill a crucial role in our project! Here is a video introducing the project: vimeo.com/398075340
  • Database Project: Overlapping Genes
    Aim: detecting new functional elements in Escherichia coli
    Methods: Integrating data from transcriptomics, translatomics, and genomics across Escherichia coli strains, building a relational database of open reading frames. 

  • Protein interactions
  • Membrane proteins
  • Viral genomics
  • Computational proteomics
  • Epigenomics

 Or come with your own ideas!